Ghee is also known as Clarified Butter. It is made by melting butter and allowing the milk components to separate and hence the name. It is commonly used in most kinds of food and is supposed to be an extremely healthier option to other kind of oil. Hence, given to toddlers/kids in most kind of food.
I try my best to make ghee at home whenever possible so I can give the purest form of ghee to my child.
It's very easy to make this. Hope you try this and continue making it always instead of buying it from store.
- Take a pan and place it on medium flame.
- Place a block of room temperature butter and stir it so it melts uniformly.
- Keep stirring the melted butter occasionally so it does not spill over or burn at the bottom.
- At a point, the milk solids will start to float and separate and a clear liquid will be seen which is the clarified butter.
- Turn off the heat at this point
- Allow it to cool a little bit.
- Strain the liquid to remove all the milk solids.
- Store it in glass container and allow to cool completely. It will turn into a beautiful yellow color.
- Close the container and use it with clean spoons only. You can then use it for many months.
- The Clarified Butter / Ghee is ready!